Sunday, December 8, 2013

Ethiopian Collard Greens or Ye'abesha Gomen

So I had a craving for Ethiopian food today. I had tried to make misir wot before, and today I wanted to try that again and round out the meal with Ethiopian collard greens, a staple on any vegetarian plate (at the restaurant anyway). I tried this recipe and it turned out quite well!

from Saveur.com

INGREDIENTS

-- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
-- ⅛ tsp. black cardamom seeds (I just used green cardamom seeds because that's all I had, will try to find black cardamom for next time)
-- ⅛ tsp. ground fenugreek (called methi in Indian cooking)
-- ⅛ tsp. nigella seeds (this is also called Kalonji seeds in Indian cooking and the ones I bought were marked as such)
-- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
-- 1 large yellow onion, minced (I used the food processor for this it turned out more like a paste and next time I will try chopping finely by hand)
-- 3 cloves garlic, minced
-- 2 Thai chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced (I left this out hoping Kiran will eat it)
-- 1 1" piece ginger, peeled and minced
-- 1½ lbs. collard greens, stemmed and cut crosswise into ¼"-wide strips (I used 2 bunches of organic collards)
-- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
-- White wine vinegar, to taste (I misread this and added in regular vinegar, maybe 1 Tablespoon or so? Next time will try using white wine vinegar)


INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat butter in a 6-qt. pot over medium heat. Add cardamom, fenugreek, and nigella and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 1–2 minutes.

2. Increase heat to medium-high and add oil; add onions and cook, stirring often, until browned, 10 minutes.  (I think the onions should be cooked until sweet, not browned too much)

3. Add garlic, chiles, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, 3 minutes.

4. Add collards, 1⅓ cups water, and salt and pepper; cover and bring to a boil.

5. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until collards are tender, 50–55 minutes.

6. Stir in vinegar and serve collards hot.




 

No comments: