This is the recipe my mom uses to make Macaroni and Cheese, which was a staple on our dinner table growing up, and it is also the recipe I use! I believe it was originally from Betty Crocker.
HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE
-- 1/4 c. minced onion
-- 3 Tablespoons butter
-- 1/4 c. flour
-- 1 1/2 c. milk
-- 8 ounces cheese (I typically use extra sharp Cabot cheddar)
-- 1 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
1. Get a big pot of salted water boiling, add in macaroni and boil according to package directions.
2. While that is happening, melt butter in pan on low-medium heat. Add in onions and cook until softened and transluscent, about 10 minutes. DO NOT BROWN ONIONS. When onions are cooked, sprinkle in flour slowly to make a roux. Cook the roux over the flame to get rid of the raw flour taste, about 60 seconds or so.
3. Get your whisk out and add in the milk, whisking well so all the flour is incorporated and you don't end up with lumps. Cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens.
4. Add in cheese, stir until cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste and your sauce is done.
5. Meanwhile, your macaroni has been cooking and is finished. Add boiled and drained macaroni to sauce, mix to incorporate, put in an oven-safe dish and bake 30 minutes uncovered in a 350 degree oven.
-- 1/2 cup mushroom, minced (add it in with the onion in the beginning)
-- substitute goat cheese for some cheddar
-- a little basil
-- spinach ?
-- anything you like!