This is a French-Canadian treat I remember having on rare occasion as a child. My mom made this recipe the other day, it was so delicious I couldn't stop eating it and I had to have the recipe.
⦁ 1/2 cup softened butter or 1/2 cup margarine
⦁ 1 cup sugar
⦁ 2 eggs
⦁ 1 teaspoon vanilla
⦁ 2 cups flour
⦁ 1 teaspoon baking powder
⦁ 1 1/3 cups milk
⦁ 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
⦁ 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
⦁ 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
⦁ 1/3 cup butter
1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar till the mix is light.
2. Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
3. In another bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
4. Alternate flour mix and milk to the butter mix.
5. Pour into a 13 inch by 9 inch greased pan.
1. In a large casserole, bring to boil the syrup, brown sugar, cream and butter and constantly stir.
2. Reduce heat and gently cook 2 minutes or till sauce has reduced a little bit.
3. Pour sauce gently over cake.
4. Bake at 325°F about 35 minutes or till cake is light brown and when toothpick inserted comes ou