This is one of our favorite desserts, very light, easy to make, and not very sweet. If you like cakes more on the sweet side you may want to add more sugar. You can use any kind of berry in it (or probably other fruit as well), we often use blueberries. Original recipe here.
Raspberry Almond Coffeecake
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, or other berries
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray, or butter pan.
- Combine berries and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Combine sour cream, butter or margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and egg, and add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Spoon 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan. Spread raspberry mixture evenly over the batter. Spoon remaining batter over raspberry mixture. Top with almonds.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.