So since becoming a goop convert, I have been trying all her vegetarian recipes. For the back-to-school issue, the puy lentils with wilted spinach were only OK (and the dressing too tart!) but this eggplant recipe is something we will definitely make again. Anything with roasted eggplant tends to be a hit-and-miss (mostly miss) item in our household but this recipe, for the most part, works. Next time I will make sure to use a generous amount of oil on the eggplant before roasting, try to cut it a bit smaller (maybe 3/4 inch chunks) and try to use japanese eggplant which is usually better in these types of recipes.
Roasted Za'atar Eggplant Bowl from goop
- 3 medium-large japanese eggplant (or one big regular eggplant) peeled and chopped into 3/4 -inch cubes
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced (can use yellow if it's all you have)
- 2 tablespoons za’atar (Middle Eastern spice - can be found in most spice aisles)
- 1 bay leaf
- cooked rice or quinoa
- olive oil
- sea salt + black pepper
for yogurt + lemon dressing
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt (I used our regular homemade yogurt for this and it was fine)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon tahini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt + pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread the eggplant on a baking sheet and sprinkle with za’atar until coated. Drizzle with olive oil (about two tablespoons). Cook for about 10 minutes, remove from oven and shake the baking sheet to move the eggplant around (for even cooking). Place back in oven for another 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, caramelize the onions: Coat a large pan with olive oil and place over medium heat. Sauté onions with bay leaf until soft and deeply caramelized, about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. To make the dressing, finely grate the garlic into a mixing bowl. Add the yogurt, lemon juice and tahini. Mix. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place quinoa or rice into two serving bowls or sealable food containers. Top with the eggplant and onion mixture. Drizzle the dressing over the bowls to your liking.