Saturday, August 3, 2013

New category: Toddler food -- First recipe: Tofu Egg Salad

Our beautiful boy Kiran is 11 months old already, and he is eating up a storm! He is eating mostly "people food" and not purees at this point. He can chew pretty well with his gums and 8 teeth, but since he doesn't have molars yet he can't grind difficult things like raw vegetables.

I try to cook as much of his food as possible, which was causing a problem because I was cooking Kiran a meal, then feeding him, then cooking myself a meal, then eating. The whole thing would take like 2 hours! So I decided to try and come up with some meals that both of us can eat at the same time! But there are many constraints, especially at lunchtime when time is short.

I have been looking for/creating meals that:

1. Use mostly foods I tend to have on hand
2. Include a protein source (varied throughout the day), vegetable and/or fruit, carb, and fats.
3. Are vegetarian (baby is vegetarian for now)
4. Are quick to prepare (for lunch this means under 20 minutes for sure, usually under 10)
5. Are yummy for baby and parents!
6. Bonus points go for foods he can pick up and eat himself (i.e. not purees)

I am lucky Kiran is a pretty adventurous eater, if he was picky things would be so much more difficult.

The other night I had some leftover tofu in the fridge so I put together a fast tofu egg salad for us to eat. It was good and I would like to share the recipe.

Tofu Egg Salad

modified from this link
  • 1 block firm tofu, drained (I used medium firm and it was fine)
  • 1/2 cup cooked soft vegetables (I used frozen spinach, cooked and chopped finely, but you could use cooked peas, cooked diced carrots, cooked brocolli chopped finely, or whatever you have on hand)
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup sweet relish (or chop up some sweet pickles very finely, like I did)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. celery powder (or 1/2 stalk celery, very finely minced)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder (or 1/2 small onion, very finely minced)
  • 1 tbsp mustard
  • dash paprika for garnish (optional)

Preparation:

In a medium-sized bowl, mash the tofu with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and stir together until well combined. Sprinkle with paprika for garnish, if desired. Serve on bread for an "egg" salad sandwich.

No comments: