As I have ranted about previously, muffins are one of the most sneaky foods out there. They look all yummy, handheld, breadlike and fruit-and-oaty, when really most recipes are repositories of so much oil and sugar they are nothing close to as healthy as they seem. Most muffins are basically handheld cake -- not appropriate for an everyday breakfast or casual snack. So for the last several years I have been on the hunt for a healthier muffin. I had to make many terrible healthy muffins before I came upon this version, which is very good and very healthy! Adapted slightly from this version.
Like almost everything I make, this recipe is extremely variable. I have substituted cherries and plums for the blueberries with good results. Enjoy!
Health Nut Blueberry Muffins
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup oat bran (sometimes I substitute flax meal for oat bran or wheat germ)
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries (or any fruit you like, chopped small)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or any kind of nuts, or no nuts)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup yogurt (or buttermilk)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan, or line with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, oat bran, quick-cooking oats, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently stir in the blueberries and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed banana, buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix just until blended. If you overmix the batter, the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling all the way to the top. Sprinkle a bit more sugar on the top of the batter.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly touched or toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.