I have been wanting to make something like this for a while, but all the versions I could find online did not have corn! So, I added some. I think it came out very good! Will definitely be making this one again. Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Shepherds-Pie-II/Detail.aspx
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sage leaf, minced, or 1/4 t. dried
- 1/4 t. dried thyme
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract spread, e.g. Marmite/Vegemite (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup walnuts or cashews, finely chopped
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- roughly 1/2 c. milk and 1 t. butter for mashing
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 1 can creamed corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, fry onion in a little oil until translucent.
- Add in the broth, herbs, yeast extract, lentils and barley. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in diced carrot and chopped nuts, simmer until lentils and barley are cooked through, about 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash with butter, milk, salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine flour and water and stir into lentil mixture; simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. It should be pretty thick. Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour lentil mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish. Spread corn in a layer on the lentil mixture. Spoon mashed potatoes over corn and smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes.