Monday, March 22, 2010

Mexican cole slaw

So I just made my Mexican black beans today, and I wanted to make them into a wrap with some sort of healthy but creamy cabbage topping like this recipe. Also, I was thinking of making a healthier version of the cabbage and cream topping on baja fish tacos, and how that might taste with black beans in a burrito.

So I took what I had on hand and made this up, all measures approximate:

-- 2 cups shredded nice-looking green cabbage
-- 2 tablespoons minced onion
-- 1/4 cup minced tomato (could use salsa)
-- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
-- 1 tablespoon ripe avocado, mashed, or more to taste
-- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt (could use sour cream)
-- hot sauce, to taste
-- squeeze of lemon or lime juice
-- salt and pepper

Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl. It came out really delicious! It would make a great healthy mexican cole slaw on it's own, or you can use it in sandwiches or tacos/burritos like I did today, with black beans and cheddar cheese.

No comments: