Friday, November 25, 2016

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

I must have seen a pineapple upside-down cake on Facebook, because somehow the image has been stuck in my head all day. I decided to make us one for dessert tonight in my cast iron fry pan. I don't know if I've ever even had pineapple upside-down cake before, I've certainly never made it. What a loss! This cake is so easy and fast to make, and so delicious! The brown sticky crust on the outside reminds me of delicious grand peres my french-canadian grandmothers made for us growing up (that I've never been able to replicate as an adult), but the pineapple and cherries make it even better! I suggest you stop whatever you are doing and make this right now.

From Food. com

Ingredients
    • 1/4 cup butter
    • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    • 4 slices pineapple, from a can of sliced pineapples
    • 9 maraschino cherrys (plus more for cake batter, if desired)
    • 1 1/3 cups flour
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/3 cup melted butter (I used a little less and topped up with pineapple juice)
    • 3/4 cup milk
    • 1 large egg

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Melt butter in iron skillet.
  3. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter. Mix together a little bit.
  4. Arrange pineapple slices on top brown sugar/butter.
  5. Place cherries in center of slices. and then 1 between each slice, and 1 in the middle.
  6. Mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in one bowl
  7. Mix wet ingredients: melted butter, milk, egg in another bowl.
  8. Combine dry and wet ingredients, mix to combine but only as little as possible. 
  9. I also chopped up extra maraschino cherries and added them in to this cake batter because I like maraschino cherries. 
  10. Pour batter over pineapple in skillet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. (35 minutes worked great for me)
  11. Remove from oven, let cool about 5 minutes or so, turn onto heat-proof plate while still warm.



No comments: