Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Redemption Beans

I have been on a cookbook-buying binge lately. After reading a blog post about a cookbook called The Taco Cleanse full of vegan taco recipes, I immediately ordered it. I made this Jamaica-inspired recipe today and not only was it fast and delicious -- baby loved it! So I must blog it so I don't forget about it. This recipe makes  a LOT of sauce, so if you don't want so much sauce you may want to reduce the coconut milk a bit, or add in another can of beans.

REDEMPTION BEANS

Ingredients:

-- 1 T. oil
-- 3 garlic cloves, smashed (I used a mortar and pestle)
-- 3 scallions, smashed (I used a mortar and pestle)-- 2 bay leaves
-- 1 t. thyme
-- 1/2 t. ground allspice
-- 1 t. salt
-- 1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, whole (I omitted this)
-- 1 13-oz can coconut milk
-- 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Instructions:

-- Heat oil in pan. Add smashed garlic and scallions and let cook a little. Then, add in the rest of the spices and fry in oil until fragrant.

-- Add in the coconut milk, salt, and pepper if using, and boil 10 minutes or until reduced a bit.

-- Add the kidney beans and boil 5-10 more minutes or until it's thick to your liking.

Serve on with corn tortillas with roasted cauliflower, and guacamole, and hot sauce on the side.

No comments: