We make this soup when we have extra greens to use up, very common with our Glenn Valley CSA box this time of year (tomorrow we are getting 5 bunches of greens!!). Tastes great, with a fresh, minty, soury kick that I love and extremely healthy to boot. Based on this recipe, but I have changed it quite a bit here:
-- a generous splash of olive oil or (1T.) knob of butter
-- 3 large shallots, chopped (or 1 small onion)
-- a couple pinches of fine-grain sea salt
-- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
-- 3-inch sprig of mint
-- 1 1/2 pounds yellow or green summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices/chunks
-- 1 bunch greens (swiss chard, spinach, kale, etc), washed and roughly chopped
-- 3/4 pound potatoes, un-peeled, cut into 1/4-inch thick pieces (optional)
-- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
-- 3 cups lightly flavored vegetable stock or water
-- 2 t. lemon juice
-- 2/3 cup buttermilk or yogurt
-- can garnish with: fresh herbs, toasted almonds, a generous drizzle of olive oil/ melted butter, and/or some crumbled feta (I am not much of a garnisher though)
1) Heat olive oil/butter in large thick-bottomed pan over medium heat. Stir in the shallots or onion, salt, red pepper flakes. Saute until shallots are tender - a couple minutes.
2) Stir in the greens, and allow greens to wilt down, a few minutes.
3) Add in squash and potatoes, and cook until the squash starts to get a bit tender - a few minutes.
4) Stir in the garlic, and then add the stock (or water) to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
5) Add mint and puree with a hand blender. If you like a silkier soup feel free to pour the soup through a strainer.
6) Slowly whisk in the lemon juice and buttermilk or yogurt, taste, and adjust the seasoning - adding more salt and/or lemon juice if needed.
As you might guess, this recipe is infinitely variable and easy to adjust based on whatever you have on hand.What makes it is the fresh green taste of the greens and zucchinni mixed with the fresh mint, lemon, and yogurt flavors.